Saturday, August 6, 2016

Response to an Elder !

Booshoo my Native brother,

Good to hear from you. In answer to your question about whether I have joined the lodge.

My life and lifes work is dedicated to the Midewiwin Society. I did not petition to come into the society for several reasons. Firstly, as a white man with no Native heritage I had some concerns about what might happen if I were accepted into the Mide. There are some very dedicated Elders that would have concerns about a white man coming in. Though I do not agree with that perspective I do respect them and their views. There is also the concern that if I, as a white man, were accepted it could open a door for others to follow. Kind of like opening a Pandora box. The society needs more Native people before other people begin to join in my view.



The other part is a dream I had. I have had many drams calling me to the MIde and continue to have them. One dream was when driving to Mide I noticed a shadow come up over my car from behind me. The shadow was in the shape of an Eagle and its wing span went from one side of the road across to the other. When I looked up what I saw was a large black eagle flying ovr my car. Ahead I saw a long house lodge on my right. I could see the open door and knew I was coming from the east. As I came up to the lodge I drove by. The Eagle flew off to the right and circled the lodge and then came back above my car.

This dream meant to me that my work is to support the lodge and bring people to the lodge while sharing teachings back to the east where the migration began. Some Elders have told me that they interpret it differently and that it is like my other dreams, a call to the lodge.

What I can tell you is that if I were even a 1% Native American I would come to the Midewiwin. I presently still go to Three Fire Lodge as a supporter.

Let me know your thoughts,

Noodin aka Jim Beard

“To be centered is to stand alone together” Noodin

No comments:

Post a Comment